Tuesday, March 1, 2016

There have been a few people who have asked why I am so angry about the last few months on Disqus and it is simple, Disqus became my saving grace over the last 3 years. It was someplace I felt safe going to share a laugh, conversation or even occasional arguments. The pets took that away from me with their harassment and Saeed allowed them to do so and that makes me angry.
A little over 3 years ago a younger brother and my dad were both diagnosed with cancer relatively close together. In RL it was overwhelming much of the time to have both of them going through treatment so I would come on Disqus to escape for a short time. My brother died a little over 2 years ago and my dad died a couple of months before the melt down on Disqus. I was in no emotional condition to deal with constant attacks. Perhaps I should have stayed off of Disqus, but there were people who I consider friends that made my day better and I did not want to lose that support even if it was only internet support.
When I started having problems on MW I sent Saeed an email telling him what I was going through as well as the doctor was concerned about my heart condition and there was a discussion about surgery. He promised that he was trying to solve the problem on MW and asked if I would agree to the cool down. I was an idiot for believing him as that did not happen. Instead he ignored what was going on only making the situation much worse. 
It reached a point where I deleted my account and made a new one hoping that would stop the harassment, but it did not. As soon as it became known that I had returned the harassment started again. 
No one should have to go through this type of harassment for any reason. The fact that Saeed knew about my personal situation yet he did nothing about the harassment is inexcusable in my opinion. 
This has become a problem that Disqus is well aware of and yet Disqus continues to ignore it. Fortunately I have RL support so I was able to work through it. What happens if this is done to someone who does not have that support? 
There are some who feel that these interactions can be avoided simply by not longer accessing the internet. Why should anyone have to avoid cyber bullies instead of cyber bullies being the ones who are dealt with? 
Not everyone may agree with my decision to return and make my voice heard as they see this as a minuscule part of the internet, but it makes me angry that a company/business does not recognize their part it allowing this behavior to continue when their business is creating a community platform.
IMO Disqus has a responsibility to stop this behavior instead of ignoring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment